Philadelphia is not only the city of brotherly love but also a city rich with history and art for those of you art and history buffs! Whether it’s a trip to the Philadelphia History Museum or the Philadelphia Museum of Art, when you head out on a Philadelphia day trip, you’re bound to have a great time and even learn something. Not too shabby.
Since Philadelphia is close to our central NJ location, it makes for the perfect day trip without requiring an overnight stay if you’re eager to sleep in your own bed.
Let’s take a look at some of the best museums in Philly.
Best Museums in Philly and Attractions: From the Philadelphia History Museum to the Philadelphia Museum of Art
Philadelphia Museum of Art:
Here’s the scoop on the third-largest art museum in the country!
- Are you a fan of Renaissance, American, Impressionist or Modern art? If you answered yes, this museum has plenty for you to see.
- Go Back in Time: the Philadelphia Museum of Art has over 80 period rooms going as far back to medieval times.
The Franklin Institute:
A Philadelphia day trip isn’t complete without a visit to this hands -on museum perfect for science fans!
- The Sports Challenge—it demonstrates the physics of sports—perfect for those of you sports fans who are also crazy about science!
- Watch films on the 79-foot domed Tuttleman IMAX screen!
- It’s in the stars: don’t forget to see the planetarium, the second oldest in North America!
Betsy Ross House:
A popular attraction for those of you who are patriotic and in love with our flag’s history
The Liberty Bell Center:
No tickets required, view the Liberty Bell and learn about its history in this popular Philadelphia day trip destination!
In love with flowers? Visit the Morris Arboretum:
- 92- acre Victorian Arboretum with beautiful English landscape structures and sculpture gardens
Philadelphia History Museum:
- 330 years of Philadelphia history! Pretty impressive
- From Philly’s founding in 1680 to today, you’ll view galleries with over 100,000 objects
- It’s interactive! The Philadelphia history museum says the exhibits contain interactive attractions to keep you entertained.
- A fan of our first president? View Mr. Washington’s 1790’s writing desk!
- Can’t get enough of Philadelphia? Take a virtual tour of the city when you walk on the largest map of Philadelphia ever!
More Historic Attractions & Food for a great Philadelphia Day Trip
Take a look at these if you’re dying to get it all in in one day!
- Fairmount Park
- Literary fan? Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site
Try these locations for some good Philly food:
- Lorenzo and Sons
- Jim’s Steaks
Now that you’ve got some of the best attractions and places to eat in your back pocket, making a fantastic day trip to Philadelphia should be a breeze! Enjoy!