1. Start of the Season
- Upon receipt of your packet, distribute a copy of the team roster and schedule to each team member.
- You and your “teammates” should familiarize yourself with the rules prior to the start of the season.
- Understand the league rules. There are usually Rules Committee or Board Members around during the matches who can handle or refer any questions you may have about bocce. A full copy of the rules is kept courtside by the Court Master.
3. Commitment and Substitutes
- Stress commitment to your team members
- If someone cannot play, then they or the team captain should arrange for a substitute. Refer to the substitute list. Substitutes must be Bocce Club members and cannot compete in the same league.
4. Cancellations / Inclement Weather
- Court Masters will advise the Concierge of cancellations due to weather by 4 p.m.
- Team Captains will confirm cancellation with Concierge desk.
- Team Captains will advise team members of the cancellation.
5. Arrival and Forfeit Times
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled game.
- Games are forfeited if the team is incomplete or missing 10 minutes after the scheduled start time.
- If a team has only one or no regulars present, regardless of the number of substitutes, it shall forfeit its match.
- A team may play with a minimum of two regulars alone, only once per season. A second event, even if it involves two different regular members, shall result in a forfeit unless that team obtains at least one substitute. The Court Master will record the information. A team may play with two regulars and either one or two eligible substitutes any number of times, provided they abide by the “no permanent substitution” guideline.
6. Bulletin Board
- League standings are posted on the front of the bulletin board.
- The days schedule including court assignments and home/visitor designations are printed on the rear of the bulletin board.
- Team members should introduce themselves to opponents at the start of play.
- A ”good game” comment is appreciated at the end of the game, win or lose.
8. Communications with Referees
- Only Captains may request a measurement and may confer with the referee regarding questions and challenges.
- All team members shall remain in the player areas unless summoned by the referee.
- A Captain may request that the referee ask the Court Master for a ruling when an issue cannot be resolved among the two Captains and the Referee. The Court Masters decision is final.
- Releasing the ball above waist high is not permitted as it damages the courts.
10. Score Reporting
- Captains must report scores to the Court Master and initial the score sheet.
- Captains must NOT remove final scores from the score board.
11. Sweeping the Court
- The winning team, as a courtesy is expected to sweep the court after play is completed.
12. Web Site
- Refer to the Bocce Club page on the Westlake website for rules, calendar of events, registration, information about the club, etc.